Tuesday, November 25, 2014

All that has changed_Is there a dearth of problem statements?

one often has to come up with innovation idea sparks that will benefit mankind in general. It may be a tool that assists in day to day chores or a simple revelation that can aid in better decision making. But, after the long hours of research that sits on a research question, hypotheses setting string of assumptions, I often get to ask myself before the others do - "Dont I already know this?". Sleeping at the right time and for a sufficient time will lead to better well-being and longer life. Keeping yourself hydrated every few hours is good for body immune system. Staring at the laptop for long hours strains the eyes and affects the physiological system cycle over time. We do know that, or could prove some systematic quantitative results. But what after that. Do we heed to research findings. Will we mend our ways, if we are thrown up with life improving facts? Is the smoker still going to smoke knowing its is decreasing his life expectancy in an exponential rate? One of the things I regularly practice while coming up with ideas, is asking: "What do I need in life? What are the things I feel would be a life-saver for me?" At least in my case, this trivia is a good starting point and helps greatly in narrowing down options for structuring the solutions approach. Going through the hierarchy of needs and requirements of an individual, I discovered that there are fundamentally a few things that really matter which branch out subsequently in different ways for different ways. What are these needs, have these changed over time? How well-off are we in these aspects compared to yesteryear humans. We can think about such things. Food, moderate and regular social exposure, shelter, travel may be a few things I can come up with right now. Moving back to the primary discussion point of what do we need, how to make things easier for current generation, what are we missing that the previous guys had in plenty? How can my discoveries be better than just suggestions? For this, we may need to go into exploring the differences between the older and newer generation. This is a commonplace grand-mom favoured topic which never seems to wean in discussion tables of almost all households. But a very rich source of problem statements may lie right here. What all do I(any person) know right now that I am doing has obvious scope for rectification may be some of the following neo-life characteristics: I sleep at odd times. I have fleeting and variant eating patterns. I stare at mobile-laptops for a longer time. I do not work out regularly. I eat junk food regularly. I do not take care of my skin, stomach, hair, limbs in obvious ways which I have been taught from childhood. I am attached to virtual entertainment media in such a way that my association with what is life, how should I behave, how should I life, how do I perceive others should behave are strongly influenced by the roles played by actors who try to mimic what I (the generic social individual) do. These may be some points which strongly differentiate the artificial complications we may have unknowingly superimposed into our lives while the older guys were in fact chilling and having a good time with no TVs, no inflation, more time for retrospection and doing the basic things of eat, sleep and talk. One may counter saying that there were other problems during those times which have been addressed with technology. Agreed, technology has made things easier certainly. My focus here is to search for problem statements and hence I screen out the comparing old versus new features which project what we are better off with, for brevity. How does one structure a problem statement that addresses problems that are directly or indirectly related to the current life style? What do we have, what do we need? What are the impacts of this lifestyle? These are points, which may lead one to fruitful research questions in some narrow aspect that may lead to one of the many roots of lifestyle impact paradigm. At least in health care, I do not have to say that almost all problems have been addressed by researchers and the field is mature. There is and will always be newer things to work on as people cease to stop once a while in their routine life to retrospect on the obvious things they ought to do but seem to have no time to do it to the busyness of their comfortable existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment