Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The love for research - Part A: Why a PhD

Fate is a strange thing. One wishes to do something and fate conspires in setting up situations enabling oneself to fulfill these wishes, metaphorizing a war till the last enemy soldier is killed. I like to read. I like to find out things. I like to contribute to literature. But most of all, I like to profess. Am I capable for the jobs and the path, I keep asking myself. That is fine, as in this long journey, even the best of the best seem to have treaded similar paths where they ask themself often: "Is it worth it, leaving: my mother country far away, a plush corporate job with cumulative savings, an early family life kick-off and many other things. But alas, it is sacrifice my friend. The burning coal and the tirelessly working bellows will yield the best of metal castings. The penance for the cause of science, will pay-off. And admit it, it is all for your love. For your love for research and science. Science can get addicting and the perennial effort to learn improves you intellectually much beyond your expectations. And, this is a continuous process. The optimistic learner is better than an intellectual fool with terrific scientific instincts but no discipline of research.

No comments:

Post a Comment